The Fraternity's Early Beginnings
The Pan Xenia
International Professional Foreign Trade and Fraternity was founded
and organized in May 7, 1919, by a group of students and businessmen
from the State University of Washington in Seattle, Washington.
It was designed to encourage the highest forms of business relationships
and goodwill among it members. Due to its meritorious aims and
to the extensive business interests of its members, it did not
take long before chapters were established in almost all states
of the United States. The more prominent are those in San Francisco,
New York, Chicago, Columbia, (South Carolina), and Richmond with
headquarters at their respective state universities. Soon, Pan
Xenia spread from the confines of the continental United States,
branching out into Latin America, Europe, the Orient and even
the Africa. As it grew into international proportions, chapters
were established in London, Hamburg, Paris, Bordeaux, Montreal,
Rome, Tientsin., Soochow, Shanghai, Macau, Hong Kong, Canton,
Yokohama, San Paolo, Bombay, and other international ports among
On September 23, 1923, Dr. Macy Skimmer, then professor at the
University of Washington, eat of the Mother Alpha Chapter, founded
the Philippine Alpha Chapter in the University of the Philippines.
Chosen professors of the School of Business Administration of
the State University were inducted as associate members. Professor
Fermin Tecson Francisco was designated as the first local adviser,
and thus, often was referred to as the "Grand Old Man"
Pan Xenia Philippines Alpha Chapter. The few selected members
who were the first regular Pan Xenians of the new chapter were
Francisco Santamaria, Jr., Dominador Fargas, Dalton Chen, Antonio
Aquino, Anselmo Trinidad, Juan D. Quintos and Manuel Rustia. Most
of them rose to the rank of associate members.
In 1929, the School of Business Administration was recognized
as separate entity from the College of Arts and Sciences in the
University of the Philippines. Coincident with this momentous
event, then American Trade Commissioner Harvey Rohrer was specially
designated by the United States Alpha Chapter to inaugurate a
system of initiation for active, associate and honorary candidates
by which only the best material for membership could successfully
go through and be admitted into the brotherhood. This gave the
Fraternity renewed vigor and spirit for a forceful and determined
pursuit of its goals and ideals. The first round tbale discussion
for that year was made memorable by the presence of several distinguished
Pan Xenians, among whom were Dean Conrado Benitez, Bro. Lim of
the United States Alpha Chapter of Seattle, Bro. Carlson of the
United States Omega Chapter of Berkely, and Bro. Harvey Rohrer.
As it pursued the ideals of Business ethics and goodwill, Pan
Xenia started carving a name for itself. In the 1930s, the first
honorary members were inducted into the Fraternity, led by Don
Leopoldo R. Aguinaldo, a successful entrepreneur and proprietor
of a chain of department stores. In 1932, Col. Joseph Emile H.
Stevenot of PLDT was elected followed by Dr. Albino Z. SyCip of
China Banking Corporation, and Japanese consuls Atsushi Kimura
and Kiyoshi Uchiyama. Years later, Dr. Carlos P. Rumulo, the former
Prime Minister who first entered the Fraternity in the Seattle
Washington Chapter, was also made Honorry member , on August 17,
1939, Don Adrian Got of Tabacalera was also inducted as Honorary
member at the Casino Espanol. Two years later, Jan H. Marsman
of the great Marsman interest was taken in as Honorary member.
In 1939, the Philippine Beta Chapter was established by Fermin
Tecson Francisco Leonides Virata, Jose Palma, Alberto Vergel de
Dios, Jose Lazaro and Gov. Raul Garcia at Siliman University.
The inauguration materialized largely through the sponsorship
of the Honorary members of the Fraternity. The first governor
was Capt. Isaac Eceta, Jr., However, the war in the Pacific broke
out and a number of Pan Xenians, including the entire membership
of the Philippine Beta Chapter, perished in the battlefields.